On March 3rd, 2021, we hosted our Sixth Annual Women’s Health Research Symposium, virtually.
We were thrilled to see over 260 people join us in this new ‘venue.’ Attendees represented researchers, students and trainees, healthcare stakeholders, industry partners, community members and patient partners.
The day kicked off with a trainee workshop, led by Brittany Schichter, on engaging patients in research. Our energizing keynote presentation was delivered by Dr. Tim Caulfield, who shared sage advice on combatting misinformation online.
His talk was followed by an incredible range of research presentations, on topics including traumatic brain injury and intimate partner violence, COVID-19 and pregnancy, science communication, and the representation and engagement of women in clinical trials. You can view the full program online and read more about the presentations by scrolling through #WHRISym21 on Twitter.
We were also delighted to award Dr. Mary De Vera the Early Career Mentorship Award in Women’s Health, and Dr. Jehannine Austin the Late Career Mentorship Award in Women’s Health. Please join us in sending them a warm, virtual congratulations!
There are a number of groups without whom we would not have been able to host this symposium:
- Paul van Donkelaar (UBCO) Associate Vice-Principal, Research, Office of the Vice-Principal Research, UBC Okanagan; Professor, School of Health and Exercise Sciences, Faculty of Health and Social Development, UBC Okanagan
- Nichole Fairbrother (Island Health) Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry, UBC; Director, Perinatal Anxiety Research Lab
- Caroline Sanders (UNBC) Associate Professor and Coordinator of Graduate Programs, School of Nursing, University of Northern British Columbia
- Marianne Vidler (UBC) Assistant Professor, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of British Columbia
- Magdalena Newman (Fraser Health) Regional Centre Lead/Manager, BC SUPPORT Unit Fraser Centre
- Bev Pomeroy (Fraser Health) Patient Engagement Specialist, BC SUPPORT Unit Fraser Centre
- Kate Wahl (UBC) Doctoral Student, School of Population & Public Health, University of British Columbia
- Azra Bhanji (SFU) Masters of Public Health Student, Faculty of Health Sciences, Simon Fraser University
- Kathryn Dewar (WHRI) Senior Research Manager and Committee Chair
- Lori Brotto (WHRI) Executive Director
- Gina Ogilvie (WHRI) Associate Director
- Liisa Galea (WHRI) Scientific Advisor
- Angela Kaida (WHRI) Scientific Advisor
- Nicole Prestley (WHRI) Manager, Research + Knowledge Translation
- Heather Noga (WHRI) Research Manager
- Melissa Nelson (WHRI) Communications Coordinator
- Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research
- BC SUPPORT Unit
- Clinical Trials BC
- Perinatal Research IMaging Evaluation (PRIME) Centre at BC Women’s Hospital
- BC Children’s Hospital Biobank
- SFU Knowledge Mobilization Hub
- Prism Services (VCH)
- REACH BC
- The HIV (UBC)
- Patient Voices Network
- UBC Women’s Health Research Cluster
- Research Technology & Development Office